Sunday, June 24, 2012

Lebanon KY: land of hospitality?

We did 84 miles today, leaving at 5 am to try and beat the record high of 97 that was projected for today. We made excellent time for the first 60 miles, then things started to unravel - literally.

We had new tires put on both bikes yesterday in Owensboro KY. We did this as a preventative measure - to ensure we did not have any problems with our tires for the end of the journey. My back tire turned out to be defective. It started to delaminate from the inner belt. It got progressively worse and worse. Finally, Connor had to ride ahead and I walked my bike the final distance into Lebanon KY. I'm sure Kentucky is hospitable, but despite the 97 degree heat, I got passed by dozens of pickup trucks, with no one offering to give me a lift or asking if I had a problem, as I walked my bike into town! I have to be honest and say we are really looking forward to leaving Kentucky!

We will have to rent a car now to drive somewhere to get a tire tomorrow morning. But given that we only have 634 miles to go, and ten days left, even if we don't make a lot of progress tomorrow we are still in very good shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment